Ways to avoid plagiarism
March 17, 2017
Concerns about plagiarism are common, especially among new students.
There are a couple of measures you can take to ensure you don’t accidentally plagiarise.
The first is to take good notes. When taking notes make sure you include a full reference listing to indicate where you got the information from. Make sure you distinguish quotes in your notes from paraphrasing (by using quote marks or a different colour for quotes).
The second is to take care to reference all information full. Make sure you reference where you got your information from through in-text citations, including when you paraphrase. Make sure every source cited in the text is included in the reference list.
- StudyUp: Online workshops on improving your memory and referencing
- StudyUp Postgraduate: Writing a Literature Review
- StudyUp: Online workshops on essay writing and critical analysis
- StudyUp Postgraduate: Academic Writing for Postgraduate Assignments
- StudyUp: Online workshops on avoiding plagiarism and constructing a paragraph