How to reference a personal communication in APA Style
December 21, 2016
Personal communications are unpublished sources and includes e-mails, conversations, lectures, interviews, and tutorials. Do not include personal communications in the reference list because they aren’t published so they can’t be accessed.
So, personal communications are just listed in a special kind of in-text citation. Start with the individual’s initial(s) and surname, the follow it with the words personal communication and the date the communication occurred.
(A. Brown, personal communication, December 21, 2016).
Where possible it is usually best to refer to an academic source if one is available.
- StudyUp: Online workshops on improving your memory and referencing
- StudyUp: Online workshops on essay writing and critical analysis
- StudyUp: Online workshops on avoiding plagiarism and constructing a paragraph
- StudyUp: Online workshops on time management and strategic reading
- Some time management tips